How To Set Personal Goals
How to do the exercise: (15 minutes total)
- KEEP IT SIMPLE - set a timer for 5 minutes for each question. You want your intuitive responses to come out.
- Don't Overthink it. Trust your intuition to know the answers to these questions and let the ideas and words flow out. A 5-minute timer will force your logical mind to shut up so you can express freely what you want.
- Remember the difference between a means goal and an end goal. End goals are what we are after. They are often feeling-focused goals. Ex. and end goal about your environment might be: "I want a house I am blissfully happy to wake up in every morning" or " At least twice a month, I get to go out for a delicious meal with friends and family I love to be with"
- At the end of the 10 minutes, you can check over all of your goals and double-check if they are a means goal or an end goal. These five steps can help you double-check.
- Identify the goal
- Answer this questions exhaustively until you have no more answers: "when I achieve this goal, I will be able to....., , , etc."
- Answer this questions exhaustively until you have no more answers: "when I achieve ALL of this, I will feel....., , , etc."
- Identify the true underlying objectives of your goal based on these questions.
- Compare these objectives with the original goal and ask
- Is this original goal the best way to achieve these objectives?
- Is the original goal enough to achieve them?
- Can I achieve this in a more effective way?
Answer these 3 most important questions:
What experiences do you want to have in this lifetime?
- If time and money were no object and I did not have to seek anyone's permission, what kinds of experiences would my soul crave?
Experiences (answer using each of these prompts below):
- Your love relationship
- Your friendships
- Your adventures
- Your environment
How do you want to grow?
- In order to have the experiences above, how do I have to grow? What sort of man or woman do I need to evolve into?
Growth (answer using each of these prompts below):
- Your health and fitness
- Your intellectual life
- Your skills
- Your spiritual life
How do you want to contribute?
- If I have the experiences above and have grown in these remarkable ways, then how can I give back to the world?
Contribution (answer using each of these below):
- Your career
- Your creative Life
- Your family Life
- Your community life
- PPF's are your personal, professional, and financial goals
- These are meant to be TANGIBLE goals
- We want to make these bullet points that are specific, measurable, attainable, timely, and relevant (SMART goals)
- Very straightforward, just fill these out